Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Eagle Fest

Eagle Fest in Pella.  We ended up taking the four younger kids since we didn’t have a babysitter and I was glad we did.  We went to a raptor show with a guy from the University of Minnesota veterinary school.  It was the last show of the day and there weren’t very many people there, so we all got to sit very close.  He had a bald eagle, a great horned owl, a red tailed hawk and a peregrine falcon with him.  After the show we went down to the Des Moines river, just behind the dam that creates Lake Red Rock (the biggest lake in Iowa, by the way).  A bunch of DNR guys were there with bunches of telescopes and binoculars.  They were all aimed at the five or six eagle nests on the other side of the river.  The best part though, was that there were tons of dead fish all over the place and so about 2000 seagulls flying around that had come for lunch, along with the eagles.  We watched the eagles and seagulls swooping down and picking up the dead fish .

Afterwards we went to the Jaarmsa bakery in Pella—which just might be the best bakery in the world and cheap too—and I let everyone pick something for a treat. 

Smith chose something called a goat leg.  I think it was puff pastry coated with sliced almonds and then the ends were dipped in chocolate.  When we got home I said “Smith, did you eat that whole thing?”  He said “I ate everything but the bones.”  I guess he thought they were real goat legs. 

No comments: